Tuesday 23 April 2013

I never thought I'd say it, but Owen Wilson has enlightened me.


I've been staring at this (previously) blank screen for so long now that it's starting to take on forms, not necessarily in a joyful way, but more of  a blurry and nauseating one. I hate the term 'Writers Block' but that's only in reference to myself, and the reason? Because I'm not a writer in the first place.... and it sounds just plain silly as 'Block'. I'm unsure of the real reasons as to why I am stooping to the lowest of the low; writing about being unable to write. I have a hunch though.

I began to follow a fair number of different blogs and other such things recently and spotted one trend that seems to reverberate through them all in some form or another, this trend is Nostalgia, it oozes. I wouldn't mind if it dripped, or even if it flowed but oozing is just not polite, oozing suggests that something is hard to clean off.
I'm all for nostalgia, in fact I agree that it is a necessary thing to indulge in but aside from getting into some long and pedantic debate over whether nostalgia is just memory with a 'twinge'; I feel that people are obsessed, and far be it from me to judge a stalker, but people tend to forget the whole put the past in the past thing whilst clogging servers with posts about 'how it used to be' and 'the good old days'.

I know it might seem off topic, but I feel like this nostalgia binge that doesn't have a visible end is draining me of any thought for the now and is most definitely robbing me of any vision beyond yesteryear. Why can't people drag themselves away from this exalted past and be excited for tomorrow? I have the explanation in the form of ..... You guessed it, Owen bloody Wilson. 

Owen Wilson, in the film 'Midnight in Paris' begins the same as these oozing nostalgia-addicts. He finds it impossible to be content with his 21st century existence and wishes for a taste of these fabled Good Old Days. But as we see, (and I apologise for the spoiler guys but seriously is anyone going to get that angry? It's fucking Owen Wilson...I mean come on he looks like the kiddy catcher before the meth got a hold on him) he does get that taste of the past, in a literal way... AND he loves it! He truly does. But the point is that he realises that it's not just the spoiled, unsatisfied and greedy 21st century dwellers that revel in nostalgia.... He realises that no matter what year in history you choose, there would be something of the past that the people of said year missed. 

And so I have written something it seems, but it begrudges me to offer my thanks to the past (except for the kiddy catcher thing, thanks. THANKS FOR A THOUSAND NIGHTMARES) anyway,  the moral of this tale in my humble opinion is that we need to turn our eyes and minds frontways..... Nietzsche says we are historical beings, and so we are; but why don't we try and make some history for the future generations to be jealous of, instead of wallowing in a pool of sepia-tone longing.

Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment